Tuesday 15 November 2011

First person post

My husband has gone to war; I do my best to support my family.  I am a mother of two children; I have been lucky to find a job as a clerk at a shoe store for extra cash.

I do my best to support the war efforts, and often join the women to knit various items which are shipped to the soldiers. At the local country women’s association kitchens we bake dozens and dozens of Anzac biscuits, as they provide much nutrition the soldiers need, and last a long time. At the same time, helping with the war effort helps keep us sane; as we work, we talk about our worries, sometimes shedding tears.

I know that my husband is on the so-called “western front”, but I don’t really know many other details, as all letters are monitored and any “classified” information in the letters is censored. I read through the first paragraph in the letter for the tenth time.

“A few days ago, we decided it was a good time to have a sleep as there weren’t any announcements from the Captain, when a shell came right on top of us. I was buried under rubble, but managed to yell for help and was thankfully uninjured. It took a long time for the rubble to be cleared however, and by then my mate Fred had bled to death. I’ve sent a letter with my condolences to his family. War is terrible, I wonder if this one will ever end.”

Image source: http://www.ww1propaganda.com/world-war-1-posters/ww1-red-cross-posters?page=32

No comments:

Post a Comment